All parents wants their child’s school to be a place of physical and emotional safety. Increasingly parents of gender non-conforming and transgender (GNCT) young people are finding that they need to advocate for their child at their child’s school to help create a welcoming and affirmative learning environment. We can help you strategize as how to best approach your particular school and how to best advocate on your child’s behalf. We can:
- Accompany parents to meetings with school’s principals, administrators and/or teachers to serve as a family advocate and liaison.
- Help schools determine what they need to do to create a safe climate and to deal with the issue of diverse gender identities in an age appropriate way.
- Assist young people in coming out in their classrooms/schools if they so desire.
- Help schools shape policy to support the needs of GNCT young people.
- We work with schools and parents in navigating potential backlash from parents and community measures who oppose such affirmative measures.